Saturday, December 10, 2016

Remembering Passwords

I don't save my passwords.  That is to say, if I log into a site, I don't let my browser remember the password.  Neither do I use one of those programs that will generate random passwords and remember them for you, and log you into things automatically.

Two reasons are the core of why I go this route:  1) it forces me to actually remember my passwords, and 2) if I step away from my computer and somehow forget to lock it, unless I'm already logged in somewhere, someone can't just walk up and get to say my bank information.

I don't know, from a security standpoint, if this is ultimately the best way to go, but from the standpoint of logging into a site somewhere else - on my phone, my laptop, the reference desk computer - I don't have to try to guess at most of my passwords.

On computers at work, I go one step further and wipe the history/cookies every time I close a browser.  It's also why, despite how convenient it is to log into Chrome and have all my bookmarks and such right there, I won't log into Chrome on a work computer:  it's too hard to get your profile information out of Chrome again.  Google doesn't recommend signing in on public computers, which is a shame, because that synchronized data is so handy.  I make myself remember my passwords, but I bookmark things so I don't have to remember.

And that's probably the biggest reason I'm still using Firefox over Chrome at the moment - if I could sign in and then out of Chrome at work and it wouldn't keep my profile, I'd probably switch.  As it is, I've got no reason to.  Upside: I usually remember my passwords.  Downside: I don't always remember the site to use them at.

No comments:

Post a Comment