Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Garden Prep

We had a freeze warning last night, and it's supposed to be in the 70s over the weekend, so you know it's May in New York.  I'm going to turn over the garden beds this week so I can (hopefully) plant this weekend.

I was taking a picture of the rabbit, but you can see before/after of the winter mulch cleanup too
The plans for this year are tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, yellow squash, cucumbers (pickling & eating), cabbages, popcorn, and pumpkins.  The pumpkins are entirely planned as a potential deterrent to raccoons for the popcorn, but I started seeds for both pie pumpkins and jack-o-lanterns, so hopefully I will get some useful pumpkins, too.

I'm hoping to use the patio space more this summer, and I've planted zinnia seeds in all the large pots in hopes of attracting more butterflies.  I've got some swamp milkweed seed to go in the large planter by the fence, too.

 Back in mid-March, the week before they decided on work-from-home and the lock-down, we ordered a second shed so I could keep the car garaged year-round.  It eats up a bit more patio space, but now all my garden stuff is in it.  Hopefully we can use up some of our wood stockpile this summer.  I have s'mores stuff.

Patio is mostly cleaned up
So last year, the east side of the apple tree bloomed/made apples.  This year it looks like the west side is.  I have suspected for a while that one trunk is the grafted trunk, and the other is shoots from the root, and that they're different varieties, but I'm really not sure.  Either way, I need to start making the tanglefoot fly traps and see if they help with the apple maggot flies.

Need to get the fly traps ready soon

No comments:

Post a Comment