Thursday, July 20, 2017

Garden, Round... 7?

So this is apparently Year Seven in the garden, although we haven't been in the house seven years yet, since we moved in during the winter.  I didn't expand it this year, but I did buy some garden soil to mix into the extant dirt to try to improve the nutrients in it.

The setup this year has brassicas (cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, broccoli) and cucumbers on the right side of the walk; I put the fencing in for trellis shortly after I turned it over to get them out of the way, and I'm using hay for mulch again since that seems to distract the rabbits.


On the left, following my brassica/nightshade rotation, I've got tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, and peas.  (A rogue potato from last year came up, as well.


I put onions and carrots around the whole edge, although the onions are doing much better than the carrots.  Some carrots did come up, so at some point I'll hopefully get at least enough for one meal.

As usual, the peas took off first.  This is from four weeks ago, and I've picked about six quarts of pea pods since then.  They've grown about two feet taller than the  fence and are now cascading down the other side.  (If I remember (unlikely), I'll get another shot at this angle, because the zucchini plants cover the whole space in front of the peas now.)


Gratuitous shot of the overflowing blackberry bush from a few weeks ago - they're just starting to turn mauve now:


I've picked five zucchini, two cucumbers, the aforementioned 6 quarts of peas, and I pulled up four onions for dinner tonight.


Since my goal for the garden this year was to be able to make sides for dinner in-season, I think it's going pretty well.


The tomatoes are still green, but the grape tomatoes are just starting to turn.  In another couple weeks, I'll probably be inundated with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment