Thursday, December 21, 2017

Books I've read more than once

A conversation with a coworker made me think about this: just how many books have I read more than once?  I think Watership Down has the most read-throughs for something that isn't a kids' book, but I think that's just three or four times.  I think other than kids' books, it's the only chapter book I've read more than twice so far.  I'm not counting Romeo and Juliet, because I've only read it more than once because it was assigned in multiple English classes, and I don't really care for it.

As I'm scrolling through my "Read" list on Goodreads, I'm realizing that a lot of the stuff I read in grade school I probably read more than once, but that was partly limited access between library trips to whatever was already at home.  (That list is also short a ton of Bobbsey Twins books, since I don't remember which ones I've read, but I read a good chunk of the series.)  Most of the Walter Farley and Marguerite Henry stuff I've got I read multiple times; I was... a bit horse-obsessed as a child.

So here's stuff I've read more than once post-middle school, when I had regular access to new books and re-reading wasn't just because I had nothing else available.
  • Watership Down (Richard Adams)
  • Lord of the Rings (JRR Tolkien)
  • The Hobbit (JRR Tolkien)
  • The Elenium and the Tamuli (David Eddings)
  • Small Gods (Terry Pratchett)
  • Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck)
  • To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee) - Okay, I may have read this three times too
  • Selected Stories of Lu Hsun (Lu Hsun)
  • The United States Navy in World War II (S.E. Smith) - This is another I probably read three times
  • Guadalcanal: Decision at Sea (Eric Hammel)
  • A Girl of the Limberlost (Gene Stratton-Porter)
  • The Chronicles of Narnia (C.S. Lewis)
  • The Last Unicorn (Peter S. Beagle)
  • Crocodile on the Sandbank (Elizabeth Peters)

No comments:

Post a Comment