Saturday, September 15, 2018

Garden round up

So since we went on vacation almost immediately after I planted out the garden, I ordered a flat of plants to supplement it in case things had died while we were gone for ten days. Stuff, mostly, had not.  The extra plants meant that I had a few things that I hadn't originally planned to grow, and more of some things.
  • Peas - pretty good, 3 harvests
  • Carrots - first time getting a usable amount, froze about four cups
  • Onions - got about 3 pounds; I'm going to try planting them out this fall and see how that goes
  • Zucchini - good early harvest; plants got mildewy when it got super rainy and died off
  • Cherry tomatoes - I keep cutting back the number of plants and we were still overwhelmed with them
  • Roma tomatoes - produced a usable amount of tomatoes
  • Jalapenos - two of my plants got pulled up/eaten, so I got less than I wanted but enough to use in stir fries, etc.
  • Pattypan squash - totally wasn't worth it this year; we got 1 squash
  • Green peppers - these weren't originally planned, but I got 8 or 10 usable peppers out of it
  • Tomatillo - the plant got huge with a ton of flowers but never matured; I maybe should have kept it in the pot to bring inside and see if they'd fruit later
  • Green beans - canned 6 pints; they were... a bit of a fiasco (see pictures)
  • Eggplant - originally unplanned; got two small eggplants
  • Cucumbers - never really did anything; we got maybe 2
  • Cauliflower - 3 plants survived; we've eaten 2 crowns so far
  • Broccoli - only one plant really did anything; these were originally unplanned
  • Red cabbage - they were looking so good early in the summer and then just stayed really small
  • Green cabbage - got huge; a few got some kind of rot, but we've eaten 2 of the other so far
  • Yellow squash - originally unplanned; these produced a ton of crookneck squash


The tomato/zucchini/peppers side of the garden

I used the wrong (shorter) fence for the peas


The brassica side of the garden

First zucchini

The marigolds on the deck did pretty well this year

I planted coreopsis on the deck too

The shell:pea ratio is always kind of sad

The cabbages were much more visible before the squash and beans got huge

Zucchini

Another view of the peas

So I thought I had bought bush beans... no

The yellow squash did super well even in a shadier area

So many tomatoes

Tomato soup

First batch of salsa

Many squashes

I didn't plant the morning glories, but they're climbing a lot this year

The strawberries on the deck finally started making less weird shapes

No comments:

Post a Comment